AGL Resources Employees Commit Acts of Green for Earth DayMore than 150 volunteers will come together to complete 12 community service projects throughout the Atlanta Gas Light service territory
April 19, 2013
ATLANTA – In honor of Earth Day, more than 200 AGL Resources employee volunteers will roll up their sleeves to complete 22 community service projects that promote awareness and build appreciation for the environment, as well as embody one of the company’s core values: generosity of spirit.
“We are steadfast in our commitment to reducing our impact on the environment,” said Bryan Batson, president of Atlanta Gas Light. “Our participation in Earth Day initiatives throughout our service territory reflects one of our core values of being responsible stewards in the communities we serve.”
This year, Earth Day is being observed on April 22.
Starting this weekend, AGL Resources employee volunteers, known as V-Force, will take part in the following Earth Day initiatives across five states. Some of the activities include the following:
- Volunteers from AGL Resources and Atlanta Gas Light will be collecting trash and debris from the company’s adopted segment of the Atlanta Beltline, a 22-mile railroad corridor being transformed into green space.
- Nicor Gas volunteers will plant trees and clear buckthorn at Lake Katherine Nature Center in Palos Heights and will participate in the Brookfield Zoo’s Party for the Planet event to promote energy efficiency to home and business owners.
- Chattanooga Gas employees will clean up trash along Olan Mills Drive; select materials will be recycled to benefit the Orange Grove Center in Chattanooga.
- Volunteers from Sequent Energy Management in Houston will visit Boys & Girls Harbor, a home for children who are victims of abuse, neglect or abandonment to teach them about simple ways they can commit “acts of green” in their daily lives.
- Elizabethtown Gas employees will partner with the local mayor’s office to support Groundwork Elizabeth, a nonprofit seeking to improve the Elizabeth community through various clean-up activities.
About Atlanta Gas Light
Atlanta Gas Light, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), provides natural gas delivery service to more than 1.5 million customers in Georgia. In operation since 1856, the company is one of the oldest corporations in the state. For more information, visit www.atlantagaslight.com.
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services, midstream operations and cargo shipping. As the nation’s largest natural gas-only distributor based on customer count, AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves approximately 1.5 million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Nicor National, which markets natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management, ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities, and ownership of Tropical Shipping, one of the largest containerized cargo carriers serving the Bahamas and Caribbean region. AGL Resources is a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.
# # #
Kristi Swink Benson