AGL Resources Awards Scholarships
July 20, 2010
ATLANTA – July 20, 2010 – AGL Resources (NYSE:AGL) today announced recipients of its scholarship program.
As part of its commitment to employees and the communities it serves, AGL Resources offers $1,000 renewable scholarships for deserving students whose parents are employees.
The scholarships are based upon academic record; leadership and participation in school and community activities; honors; work experience; career and educational goals; and an outside recommendation.
“Every year, we are delighted to see such a high caliber of students apply for our scholarships,” says Melanie M. Platt, senior vice president, Human Resources and Marketing Communications. “These scholarships are part of our commitment to our employees and our support of education in the communities we serve. We congratulate these outstanding students and their families.”
The 2010 recipients include:
· Elijah Anderson, son of Rebecca and Joel Anderson of Marietta, Ga. A graduate of Hillgrove High School, Elijah plans to major in political science at Georgia Southern University. He had the lead role in Hillgrove’s spring play and was chosen to receive an All-Star Cast Award at the Regional One Act Play competition. Elijah’s father, Joel, is a damage prevention specialist at the North Georgia Regional Business Center in Marietta.
· Jon Bullock, son of Donna and George Bullock of Virginia Beach, Va. Jon was valedictorian of his 2006 class at Gateway Christian School. He attends Gateway Christian College where he majors in Bible and missions, and has held many leadership positions such as class president and student body chaplain. Jon’s father, George, is a utility mechanic at Virginia Natural Gas.
· Emily Burgess, daughter of Tara and David Burgess of Canton, Ga. Emily is on the Dean’s List at Reinhardt College with a 4.0 GPA. She is majoring in education and participates in the Reinhardt Leadership Academy. Emily’s father, David, is an Atlanta Gas Light operations foreman.
· Chad Christopher, son of Terry and Barbara Christopher of Alpharetta, Ga. Chad will attend Georgia Tech, where he plans to study history. A graduate of Milton High School, Chad was a Georgia Certificate of Merit Award winner, a Scholar-Athlete and a member of the Science National Honor Society and the National Spanish Honor Society. Chad’s mother, Barbara, is an assistant corporate secretary at Ten Peachtree Place.
· Kerri Kearse, daughter of Karen and John Kearse of Virginia Beach. Kerriwill attend the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where she plans to study journalism/communication. A graduate of Salem High School, Kerry was a National Merit Finalist and an AP Scholar. Kerri’s father, John, is an operations mechanic at VNG.
· Joseph Nichols, son of Wendy and John Nichols of Savannah, Ga. Joseph, who was homeschooled, attends Armstrong Atlantic State University, where he majors in economics. He is an Eagle Scout and in the honors program in college. Joseph’s father, John, is a meter reader for Atlanta Gas Light.
· Jamie Rogers, daughter of Denise and Richard Rogers of Ball Ground, Ga. Jamie plans to study nursing but has not finalized her college plans. A graduate of Cherokee High School, she participated in varsity track and cheerleading, earning a coaches’ choice award. Jamie’s father, Richard, is operations director at the Cherokee LNG plant.
About Atlanta Gas Light
Atlanta Gas Light, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: AGL), provides natural gas delivery service to more than 1.5 million customers in Georgia. In operation since 1856, the company is one of the oldest corporations in the state. For more information, visit www.atlantagaslight.com.
About Virginia Natural Gas
Virginia Natural Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: AGL), provides retail natural gas sales and distribution services to 271,000 customers in southeast Virginia. For more information, visit www.virginianaturalgas.com.
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: AGL), an Atlanta-based energy services company, serves approximately 2.3 million customers in six states. The company also owns Houston-based Sequent Energy Management, an asset manager serving natural gas wholesale customers throughout North America. As an 85-percent owner in the SouthStar partnership, AGL Resources markets natural gas to consumers in Georgia under the Georgia Natural Gas brand. The company also owns and operates Jefferson Island Storage & Hub, a high-deliverability natural gas storage facility near the Henry Hub in Louisiana. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.